Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Our First Family Home Evening Out





This week I was in charge of FHE.  Warm, sunny summer night... I wanted to have a picnic in a fun park I hadn't found yet.  This isn't too hard, since I'm new to town, and Lacey, Olympia, and Tumwater seem to have so many beautiful parks.

Two days a week I work in our Olympia practice and pass over a bridge overlooking this park.  There are waterfalls there, which aren't very big when you grow up near Snoqualmie Falls, but this winter they were overflowing and amazing so many people stopped to snap pictures.   My favorite part is a large gorge downstream from the bridge.  I love the trees over the river, and the calm it portrays in the midst of the city.  

We grabbed Subway and headed to the bridge.  Where to go?  Tumwater Falls Park or Tumwater Historical Park.  We headed towards the falls, and what a great little park!  And, surprise, surprise, Dan hadn't been there either, so we enjoyed the experience together. 

After walking in the park, we sat at a little bench right next to the falls and had our picnic and Family Home Evening lesson!  We have been trying to get ready for an emergency and follow the advice of many prophets and have a year's food storage.  Since we're just starting, it's a little intimidating.  We have begun by reading the essentials of food storage, how to store water, what supplies are needed, and now this week's lesson: spiritual preparedness.  No particular order, but we're loving this new FHE now that I'm not out of town every Monday.  The lesson talked about the importance of spiritual preparedness to take us through the storms of life.  One of the ways we can survive well is to serve others.  We read about King Benjamin and how our Father in Heaven has given us so much that we are and will be forever indebted to him.  And yet through the beauty of His plan, all that he asks of us is to keep the commandments.  If we keep the commandments we will prosper in the land.    
I love King Benjamin.

Anyway, we had a great night.  After the park, we drove around thinking about future neighborhoods we might live in one day.  Love that man of mine!!  

No comments: